Sunday, September 27, 2009

Obamacare: Go directly to Jail... DO NOT pass "go".

I am surprised that I have not heard much about this. I can't find any media sources carrying this - seems to be only blogs so far.

Did you know you can go to jail if you don't purchase health insurance under Obamacare? Yeah, me neither.

When I first found out about this yesterday, it was exclusively on blogs, so I'll admit I was skeptical. The only person on my blogroll who mentioned anything about it was Le.gal In.sur.rec.tion. I only hope the louder voices (Beck, Hannity, Limbaugh, Boortz, etc) run with it to help it give the attention it deserves and knock it out of the park, like "death panels" and free insurance for illegals.

I was highly skeptical - I mean, a handwritten note? C'mon now... Sure, there's scans of it online, but how easy is it to make that kind of thing up? But sure enough, I kept searching and there it was -the same story on AmericanThinker, The Weekly Standard, and finally, Politico.

If you do not pay the $1,900 fee/tax/penalty/donation (whatever Obama wants to call it), you could face up to a year in jail or a $25,000 penalty.

Okay, first of all, this scares me - it really had shades of China or Russia.

Secondly, if someone can't afford health insurance now in the current system, what makes them think they can afford to during Obamacare? Why not use H.R. 3400, which aims to lower insurance costs for everyone? Or even another plan that accomplishes something similar?

If liberals really care about helping people as much as they say they do, then why not actually help them instead of FORCING people to do their will at the point of a gun? If H.R. 3200 was such a great plan and would magically give everyone health insurance while single-handedly saving the economy, wouldn't you think people would naturally gravitate towards it? If they would come up with a plan that had everyone's best interests in mind, were honest about it and didn't include any trap doors, I think people would be interested. Anything that has to force or coerce you to buy into it is never a good thing.

I've had someone tell me that I'm not "moral" because I don't want people to have health care. Now I've never said that I don't want people to have health care - I think it's a very important thing to have. But not everyone should have it - some people don't want it, and that's fine. I don't have vision insurance because it's cheaper just to pay one time for an exam and frames than to pay a little each month. Maybe it's the same with some of those who choose not to buy health insurance - maybe they have saving accounts, maybe they choose not to because they are young and healthy. Whatever the reasons - at least we have the right to choose. We have the right to choose to buy iphones and cable instead of health insurance. Great, more power to you. If it's important to you, you will find a way to pay for it. And if you are really that bad off or if something unexpected happened, like a job loss, that's what medicare and free clinics are for. I've read tons of stories about doctors who just want to help people and donate their time and resources just to help poor people. Help is there for people who need it and are willing to look for it.

How is it helping the honestly poor people to tax them almost two thousand dollars to afford something they couldn't afford in the first place? How is that moral? How is it moral to send them to jail for not complying with the government? At least they'd get free health care in there... and a place to live and three meals a day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They won't tax the poor. They'll tax the Middle Class to pay for the government subsidies to pay for the poor who can't pay for the insurance.

None of this is about healthcare. It's all about Democrat Party control.