Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A clarification and how you can help

I just wanted to clarify something - I don't believe it's the national government's job to step in and help with a state issue unless the state does not have the funds or the resources needed to help themselves. Then the state needs to contact the national government for aide.

I believe the people will come together and lend a hand where needed within the state... and be more efficent than the national government, which I have no doubt the state of GA will do to rebuild. However, if the state's governor requests help, then the national government should act in a timely manner to provide help (especially if they've tooted their own horn in the past... especially if we are throwing money around to research the mating habits of some turtle or something...) I'd MUCH rather my taxdollars went to helping in emergency disasters, than to bailout failing car companies.

But this isn't about politics. We need to help each other out now. If you are interested, I found a few ways you can help. And by all means, if you know of another way to help that isn't listed, please let me know!:

From tomorrow until October 1st, if you shop at your local Kroger, you can either make a donation while shopping for groceries, or "round-up" your grocery bill to the next dollar to help. Donations go towards purchasing neccessities for flood victims.

Donate to the Red Cross or volunteer.

Disaster Network in VA is taking donations of supplies to deliver. Here's a list of what they need.

You can drop off donations at Crye-Leike Realtor offices - towels, blankets, baby supplies, etc. They have offices in Vinings, Woodstock, Canton, Alpharetta and Roswell.

U-haul is offering free storage to victims of the flood for 30 days.

That's it for now. If I see or hear of any others, I'll be posting those when I do.

1 comment:

Left Coast Rebel said...

I agree here 100% This is the essence of Federalism. Also, where did you hear that there was another Obama schoolchildren video? I couldn't find anything on that.....