Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Success is not a four-letter word

"If you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own. You didn't get there on your own."


Let me tell you a little something about success. It's subjective. My version of success might be different than someone else's. Some people think of it as a destination or something to achieve. Some people think it's a lifestyle, much like happiness, and just live it. One thing we can all agree on: we all want it. Or... at least we all say we want to be successful.

Obummer's remarks are an insult to successful people everywhere. It makes my blood boil just to read them. I hope it was just another off-telepromptor moment because his comments just get worse from there:

                  "I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)
If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet."

I think I just killed a few brain cells by copying and pasting that. Gawd... who does he think he is?!?! Some sort of a god?... Oh, wait. What nonsensical bravo sierra. I wonder if his ears listen to the crap that spills out of his mouth.

To be successful in whatever endeavor you choose, one needs to have the determination, perseverance and drive to make it through. You will have to make sacrifices and give it all you've got. Will people give you a hand up (note: NOT a hand-out) and give you a leg up? Maybe, maybe not. If they do, you should be grateful. But know that YOUR success is because of YOU and no one else. Yes, they helped you and that shouldn't be taken lightly by any means. However, YOU crossed the finish line; YOU accomplished your goal.

I know people that can receive every hand up and leg up in the world and still won't make it. Why? Because as I said before, you need a certain amount of determination, perseverance, drive and sacrifice to make it. Some people just don't have it. Those that want to succeed will, help or no help. You can still be successful without help. Sure, it might take a little bit longer and might be a little bit harder, but it can still be done. The main ingredient in determining YOUR success is YOU. Can happen without help. Cannot happen without you.

Obama, my ancestors might have helped to create this great country in which I live, but I thrive because of me.



No comments: